Missy Silver, M.A, ET
Missy Silver has always been passionate about and invested in child development, learning and education. After receiving a BS in Human Development and Family Science from Oregon State University, she obtained a MA in Special Education from San Francisco State and completed the Educational Therapy certification program at University of California, Riverside. Missy is certified in Orton-Gillingham’s Reading program, David Berg’s Making Math Real and has received extensive training in Structured Word Inquiry. She continues to educate herself on the latest research and teaching methods by attending several professional development training courses, educational therapy study groups and conferences that focus on ADHD, Dyslexia, Executive Function disorders, and other learning challenges every year.
Missy’s professional experience includes working for over 17 years both privately, and in schools, with students who face learning challenges. During this time she has collaborated with and received training from several allied professionals in the Bay Area. The pediatric developmental physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists she has worked with have shared techniques in stretch therapy, language development and sensory integration, all which she integrates into her teaching approach. She was a private teacher to a student who has cerebral palsy for eleven years at an independent school, working in classrooms from preschool to 7th grade. In 2007, she started a special education consulting and private tutoring practice that specialized in individualized instruction for students with learning differences. In 2015, she founded Yearning 4 Learning, an educational therapy private practice. Additionally, in 2016, she became the educational therapist at the Laurel School in San Francisco, an independent school grades K-8, that serves students who have unique learning styles.
As an educational therapist, Missy plays an active role in evaluation, remediation, and case management of each of her clients, including collaboration with parents and allied professionals. Using educational and therapeutic methods, she addresses both the academic and social/emotional aspects of learning issues. Missy’s comprehensive training in formal and informal assessment, supports her ability to design and implement the most appropriate intervention programs for learning, social/emotional, and behavioral challenges that her students face. Her goal is to provide individualized instruction that meets the needs of students, while helping them to develop an awareness of their strengths and how to utilize them in all aspects of their lives.
Missy is an associate member of the Association of Educational Therapists (AET) and an active member in the International Dyslexic Association.
- BS in Child Development and Family Sciences from Oregon State University
- MA in Special Education with a focus in Moderate to Severe Disabilities from San Francisco State University.
- Educational Therapy Certification from the University of California, Riverside.
- Skilled in adapting and modifying curriculum and equipment
- Trained in stretch therapy, language development and sensory integration.
- Integrative, multi-sensory and multi-dimensional teaching approach.
- Teaching experience in both private and public schools for eleven years (Preschool to 7th grade).
- Special education consultant and tutor for eight years, specializing in ADHD, dyslexia and executive function disorder.
- Trained in the Orton-Gillingham Reading program and David Berg’s Making Math Real.